The Official Web Site of the Pacific Coast Marine Firemen, Oilers, Watertenders and Wipers Association
Established 1883 in San Francisco, California.
Affiliated with the Seafarers International Union of North America, AFL-CIO
© 2005-2016 Marine Firemen's Union.
All Rights Reserved.
Training and Expense Policy
An eligible member is one who:
1) Is of A, B, or C seniority.
2) Is current with his or her dues.
3) Has established eligibility for medical coverage through covered employment.
4) Has a current Q-card (annual physical) issued through the Seafarers Medical Center and is fit for duty.
1) All training applications must be submitted to the Training Department at Headquarters or to the Port Agent where the member is registered. A copy of the applicant's Merchant Mariner's Credential must accompany the application.
2) An eligible member may have his or her STCW-95 Basic Training expenses paid once every five years.
3) All lodging furnished by the MFOW Training Plan is for room and tax only. All other charges, including additional nights' lodging, are the responsibility of the individual. A member who refuses to accept the lodging provided by the MFOW Training Plan will be required to purchase alternate lodging at his or her own expense.
4) Reimbursement for subsistence for each day of class attendance will be offered ($47.00 per day/meals) upon successful completion of that course.
5) Round-trip, coach air transportation between port of registration and training facility will be arranged by the MFOW Training Plan for an eligible member or reimbursement may be made by the plan to an eligible member upon presentation of ticket voucher or gas receipts.
6) Zero Tolerance Policy: All members are expected to behave in a manner conducive to a student who is interested in furthering his or her seagoing career. Violations of this policy, including tardiness, absenteeism, lack of cooperation, etc., are unacceptable and can result in immediate termination from the training program and reimbursement by the member of tuition, subsistence, lodging, and transportation expenses to the Training Plan.
Course Descriptions - Training Resources Limited
STCW Basic Training - A 40-hour course that will satisfy the Basic Training - Elementary First Aid training competencies of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-3 of the STCW Code, as amended, and 46 CFR 11.302(a)(3); AND the First Aid & CPR training requirements of 46 CFR 12.602(a)(3) and 11.201(i) for original issuance of a credential.
STCW Basic Training Refresher - A three-day refresher course that meets the minimum standard of competence for Basic Training provided the person seeking the endorsement has been previously certified per Section VI/1of the STCW Code.
STCW Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties - A one-day course that will satisfy the requirements for security-related training, Paragraph 6-8 of Section A-VI/6 and Table A-VI/6-2 of the STCW Code as amended.
QMED Fireman/Watertender & Oiler - A four-week course that will satisfy the training and examination requirements of 46CFR12.15, Sub-Part 9(a) and 9(b) for endorsement as QMED Fireman/Watertender and Oiler, provided that all other requirements of 46CFR12.15, including sea service are also met.
QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer - A six-week course that will satisfy the training and examination requirements for the combination endorsement as QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer.
Training Course Reimbursement
The following courses are eligible for tuition reimbursement upon pre-approval from the Training Plan and successful completion of the course. Members need to provide Headquarters with completion certificates, itemized tuition bill and copy of Merchant Mariners Credential in order to receive reimbursement:
Courses Eligible for Tuition Reimbursement - Carrier Transicold
One-Week Container Course - This is an overview of Carrier Transicold container refrigeration equipment. The program will include information on unit operation, service and maintenance procedures. Microprocessors, interrogation and date retrieval, humidity systems, compression technology and electrical systems will be covered.
Three-Day Container Product Update - This course is designed to provide the seasoned technician with operational knowledge and troubleshooting and repair procedures for new product features.