An eligible member is one who:
1) Is of A, B, or C seniority.
2) Is current with his or her dues.
3) Has established eligibility for medical coverage through covered employment.
4) Has a current Q-card (annual physical) issued through the Seafarers Medical Center and is fit for duty.
1) All training applications must be submitted to the Training Department at Headquarters or to the Port Agent where the member is registered. A copy of the applicant's Merchant Mariner's Credential must accompany the application.
2) An eligible member may have his or her STCW-95 Basic Training expenses paid once every five years.
3) All lodging furnished by the MFOW Training Plan is for room and tax only. All other charges, including additional nights' lodging, are the responsibility of the individual. A member who refuses to accept the lodging provided by the MFOW Training Plan will be required to purchase alternate lodging at his or her own expense.
4) Reimbursement for subsistence for each day of class attendance will be offered ($47.00 per day/meals) upon successful completion of that course.
5) Round-trip, coach air transportation between port of registration and training facility will be arranged by the MFOW Training Plan for an eligible member or reimbursement may be made by the plan to an eligible member upon presentation of ticket voucher or gas receipts.
6) Zero Tolerance Policy: All members are expected to behave in a manner conducive to a student who is interested in furthering his or her seagoing career. Violations of this policy, including tardiness, absenteeism, lack of cooperation, etc., are unacceptable and can result in immediate termination from the training program and reimbursement by the member of tuition, subsistence, lodging, and transportation expenses to the Training Plan.
Courses are conducted at Training Resources Maritime Institute in San Diego, California, contingent on enrollment levels. Tuition, lodging and transportation are pre-arranged by the MFU Training Plan.
Military Sealift Command Training
This 4-1/2 day course includes the following segments: Shipboard Damage Control; Environmental Programs; Chemical, Biological and Radiological Defense orientation; Helicopter Firefighting; Anti-Terrorism (one-year validation); Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (three-year periodicity). These segments are required for employment aboard various MSC contract-operated ships.
QMED Fireman/Watertender and Oiler
A member who successfully completes the 160-hour Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) Fireman/Watertender and Oiler course will satisfy the requirements needed for the national endorsements as QMED Fireman/Watertender and QMED Oiler, provided all other requirements, including sea service, are also met. Prerequisites: 180 days or more of MFOW-contracted sea time as Wiper; PLUS Coast Guard approval letter for endorsement upgrading, which certifies minimum of 180 days’ sea time as Wiper.
STCW Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch
A member who successfully completes the 40-hour Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch (RFPEW) course will satisfy the requirements needed for the STCW endorsement as RFPEW. Prerequisites: See QMED Fireman/Watertender and Oiler course. It is recommended that eligible candidates schedule the QMED Fireman/Watertender and Oiler and RFPEW courses back-to-back for a five-week combined training session.
QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer
A member who successfully completes the 240-hour QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer course will satisfy the requirements needed for the national endorsement as QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer, provided all other
requirements, including sea service, are also met. Prerequisites: Endorsements as QMED Fireman/Watertender, QMED Oiler, and RFPEW; PLUS 180 days’ of MFOW-contracted sea time while qualified as RFPEW.
STCW Able Seafarer-Engine
A member who successfully completes the 40-hour Able Seafarer-Engine (AS-E) course will satisfy the requirements needed for the STCW endorsement as AS-E. Prerequisites: Endorsements as QMED Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer, QMED Fireman/Watertender, QMED Oiler and RFPEW; PLUS 180 days’ or more of MFOW-contracted sea time while qualified as RFPEW.
High Voltage Safety
This five-day course is open to members who have electrical equipment background and training. Each student should have the requisite skills (knowledge and techniques) to distinguish exposed energized electrical conductors and circuit parts from other parts of electrical equipment; have the capability to determine nominal system voltages; have the ability and be capable of providing first aid, including resuscitation, CPR and AED (where provided), and be capable of determining the proper use of personnel protective equipment to protect against shock and arc flash. Prerequisites: Electrician/Refrigerating Engineer, Junior Engineer, RFPEW and Able Seafarer-Engine endorsements.
The BT Revalidation course is designed for personnel who have previously completed a 40-hour Basic Training course and have at least one year of approved Sea Service within the last five years. Locations:
Training Resources Maritime Institute, San Diego, CA (one day)
MITAGS-PMA, Seattle, WA (two days)
The BT Refresher course (24 hours) is designed for personnel who have previously completed a 40-hour Basic Training course and have NOT completed one year of approved Sea Service within the last five years. Locations:
Training Resources Maritime Institute, San Diego, CA
Compass Courses, Edmonds, WA
MITAGS-PMA, Seattle, WA
The following courses are eligible for tuition reimbursement upon pre-approval from the Training Plan and successful completion of the course. Members need to provide Headquarters with completion certificates, itemized tuition bill and copy of Merchant Mariners Credential in order to receive reimbursement:
Carrier Transicold One-Week Container Course - This is an overview of Carrier Transicold container refrigeration equipment. The program will include information on unit operation, service and maintenance procedures. Microprocessors, interrogation and date retrieval, humidity systems, compression technology and electrical systems will be covered.
Carrier Transicold Three-Day Container Product Update - This course is designed to provide the seasoned technician with operational knowledge and troubleshooting and repair procedures for new product features.